Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Din Tai Fung Dumpling Bar @ Westfield Sydney

I love my trips to Westfield Sydney, not just because of the shopping but because of the food. I get excited about mealtimes more than the fact that I'm out at the city. There's so much to eat, so much to see and I spend quite a lot of time strolling around the food court, deciding what to eat. Well so far, I've tried Charlie & Co, Snag Stand, Sassy's Red, and that vegetarian roll place with the delicious Vietnamese rolls. All the dessert places I've tried. What next... As I walked around to the sushi place, I saw Din Tai Fung and knew it was time to try this famed dumpling bar.


The food came out surprisingly quickly, even faster than the Chatime the Man went to get.


Shrimp & Pork Wonton Noodle with Spicy Sauce. I've been craving something spicy and brothy so this was the perfect dish. There isn't much of a soup or broth but the spicy pool underneath was enough to coat the noodles with that delicious, soy-saucy sauce. The sauce was saturated at the bottom so it gets a bit salty towards the end of the dish but it was still very enjoyable.


These huge wontons were the cherry on top. I was very happy to find that their wontons and dumpings were juicy and soft. As soon as you bite into the chewy wrapper, a delicious meaty juice squeezes out. The outside is well soaked in the spicy soup so that provides all the flavour you need.


Shrimp & Pork Wonton Noodle Soup. Basically the same as mine except dunked in a mild chicken broth. The broth wasn't as strong as I thought it would be but because it's not so strong, you keep going for it, spoonful after spoonful.


Steamed shrimp & pork Shao Mai. The Man loves his shrimp/prawn dumplings so I got these 4 cute pouches, each with a shrimp on top. The shell was moist and chewy, not at all dry, although they do stick to the paper on the bottom so don't pull too hard or you'll waste the deliciousness inside.


Inside the pouch is a succulent mix of shrimp and pork. An unaware bite may cause you to dribble the juice all over your clothes so be careful and bite over your bowl. If only I wasn't so full off my spicy noodles, I would have gotten more of these delicious morsels.

Now I have an extremely high expectation for the original Din Tai Fung. Surely if the food court food is this good, then the real restaurant will blow my mind.

Din Tai Fung Dumpling Bar on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. :O you MUST try their xlb next time! seriously the best dumplings ever.

    ReplyDelete